I love my kids to pieces, but our date nights of along time are very few... maybe 3-4 a year. Mostly that's a $$ issue as once you pay the sitter, for the food and whatever else the night may include it's very costly! The other issue being, baby-sitters are very hard to come by and my most trusted sitters (mum and sis) live too far away for a night out!
Friday was Rhys's fourth birthday, afterward he and Keegan went home with my Mum and sis and Ryan and I relaxed at home, bbq'd, did some birthday shopping for the boys with gift certificates they had received (I must say, I <3>
When you do not have children you would think you would sleep-in, we made an effort to but 8:00am came and we were wide awake. We enjoyed NOT rushing around...drinking coffee in our pj's, taking a relaxing shower, and wow -- I actually had time to do my hair and make up! Un-heard of! It was almost like sleeping it, it was very restful and relaxing and we broke the silence with Breakfast out. =)
We decided to use up the last of our Christmas movie gift card and go see Alice and Wonderland 3D... Ryan was quite amused as I dodged things constantly during the movie! They did a really great job. I don't remember the original movie at all so it was all very new to me. Let's take a moment here though to review why I hate theaters so much!! We went to the cheaper theater so the movie only ended up costing us $6 a piece... but for 1 popcorn and 1 pop we paid $10!! The seats were super un-comfortable, and I kept getting nudged and bumped from behind by a restless viewer. It was fun to go out, see something 3D with Ryan, and 'indulge' in $10 popcorn... but the night before we watched the new Boondock Saints at home, comfortably in my pj's, on the couch, with a comfy blanket a pillow, a sourdough bread bowl and some oh so yummy spinach dip... I even paused the movie for a bathroom break! The night cost me maybe $5.
My sister mentioned that while she was visiting in the states there was a $1 theater, the price sounded much better for the discomfort of the theater. =) I know, I'm a pansy!
We were so sleepy from not sleeping-in we decided to go home and take a nap after the movie.. when we got home we decided to take a hike instead to wake us up, and hopefully go to bed early and sleep-in! We started the hike from our house all the way to the Alexander Wilderness park... instead of taking the road and paths, we decided to climb up the coulée's and have a better view. That was a work-out!! Our hike was lasted 2 hours and boy were our feet hurting afterwards! Definitely felt good though as far as work-outs go, and was pretty fun too!
We ended up breaking our 'alone time' with a few friends that evening... we kept saying to each other, we don't have the kids, we don't have to get up early with them, we can be loud, we can go for a midnight walk if we want!! It was pretty fun.. we sorta felt like 'kids' again... actually, more like when we first were married and we have no-one to answer to! =D
Sunday we went for another hike, enjoyed a picnic, did some grocery shopping (It goes really fast when you don't have children with you!) Then we enjoyed going out to dinner even though once we were in the van and reviewed the menu and our bill the waitress had given us BOTH the wrong food!! I thought something wasn't right with the good I was eating, it wasn't as good as I had read in the menu... I hope to go back and have what I actually wanted because it sounded AMAZING. LOL!!
Monday came fast, but it was leisurely as we trekked out to Warner to pick up the boys. Keegan refused to go to me, and only wanted Ryan. I think he was bitter towards me for leaving him for three whole days. He seems to be back to normal now, aside from all the new words he learned.
Today, first day back to normal life... keeping up with Keegan's incredible appetite, and trying not to force feed Rhys even though his mouse size meals are incredibly small!! Looking forward to having Ryan home this evening and missing him terribly during the day.
The next three days are Photoshoots, and busyness -- then it's HELLO weekend and helping my girl 'L' move-in next door!! Yippee!!
Hope you all enjoyed your long weekends too!!
2 comments:
Aw fun it sounds like you two had! I think it's great you had time to re-connect and just hang out together and do fun things. I hear you on the movie theater thing though. I prefer the comforts of home with family around when we watch a movie. =)
Rhys must be in the in-between growing stages. Isn't it amazing how they can go from eating so little to devouring everything when they are growing so fast? One of my brothers who was 2 once ate 2 eggs and 6 pancakes for breakfast!
Isn't it so strange not having your children around - its like you don't know what to do with all the time!
Sounds like you had a great time.
Post a Comment