Thursday, January 22, 2009

Potty Training...

Can I just say HEADACHE!!! I seriously thought, "how hard can potty training be?" I obviously wasn't thinking there was another HUMAN involved that has his own little opinions and ideas about potty training.
Today is day 2... yesterday was "WHAT DO I DO!?" day... finally at 8:00pm last night Rhys peed for the very first time in his little potty, yay!! I won't mention how many times he peed his pants.
After four accidents this morning and nothing in the potty I phoned Ryan at work ready to cry and give-up. This is stupid, can't I wait till he's 5 and then he'll understand all about where, what, and why???
Ryan said I could put Rhys back in diapers if I wanted to, I think he's more concerned about my mood when he gets home -- pregnancy and stress = volcanic explosion for me, and well... hot lava could very well hit you if you're passing by.
I decided to be more stubborn about this, and do some more research. It seems a lot of Mum's use the 'naked butt' approach. Well, nothing can be worse then washing out underware... I think. So off came the pants/underware. Rhys has been nakedly running around the house (please call before you visit ) and so far NO messes, nothing to clean-up at all! YAY!! The bad news... well, there's nothing in the potty either. Although he has sat down on it twice without me asking/telling him to so I figure that's better then nothing?
I'm just waiting to find little puddles somewhere in his bedroom or other hidden corners of the house. Maybe I'm thinking to much like he's a puppy??
So I'm not sure if this naked approach is helping me or not, I truly do feel lost. With thirteen younger siblings I feel like my husband is a better candidate for potty training - let me go to work, I bet it's easier!!
If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice that would be greatly appreciated! I don't even mind hearing some potty training stories, that might give me inspiration -- or just help me feel okay that I'm not the only one the lost all their hair and sanity potty training!!!

1 comment:

Kath said...

Potty training is something I HATE!!! With my sweet husband's help we have managed to get 3 out of diapers. The twins were 18mths - 2 years when they were finally trained, and Leah was about the same sort of age. With the twins we were REALLY strict. Every morning as SOON as they got up they had to sit on the potty. Without fail they would do something. I'd suggest as soon as he wakes sit him on the potty and not let him get up till he has done something. It's a good strating point. After that, we found that if we took them every now and then, and just stuck with it day in day out they in the end got the hang of it. I think we had advantage because we had other little kids so it wasn't just one child - hope that makes sense. Anyways, I'm so with you, its makes me cry, it makes me scream, I put it off. My husband is the one that pushes it. Keeping the diaper off is good, because with the diaper they don't feel when they wet... but that can be a real pain with washing and all. Hang in there, he WILL get it.
~ Kath